Doltone House was one of 105 Australian Business Award recipients who were nominated by this national program. The Australian Business Awards honour organisations that demonstrate the core values of business excellence, product excellence, sustainability and commercial success.
The Australian Business Awards are a national awards program recognising the success, innovation and ethics of Australian companies and organisations across all industry sectors. Conducted annually, the awards honour Australia's industry leaders through the acknowledgment of innovative business processes, product development, enterprise, sustainability and overall business success. The Awards also recognise the important social and environmental contributions made by organisations through excellence of service, commitment to their customers, philanthropic ideals, ethical behaviour and environmental sustainability.
Anna Cesarano, Director of Doltone House Darling Island Wharf said of the win: “This award reinforces our commitment to environmental sustainability as a private organisation leading the way aiming to be the greenest venue in Sydney”.
“A comprehensive team of green experts were engaged to ensure the initial modelling took place for the design as required for the credits targeted for a 6 star rating. The entire process was governed to ensure 6 star materials and finishes would comply with the accreditation process.”
What is 6 Star Green Star?
6 Star Green Star Certified Rating (score 75-100) signifies 'World Leadership' in environmentally sustainable design and/or construction.
Green Star covers a number of categories that assess the environmental impact that is a direct consequence of a projects site selection, design, construction and maintenance.
Once all claimed credits in each category are assessed, a percentage score is calculated and Green Star environmental weighting factors are then applied. These environmental weighting factors vary across states and territories to reflect diverse environmental concerns across Australia.
Inspirational and Environmentally Sustainable
By adopting and expanding on the principles and philosophies of the Accenture Building, Doltone House aims to lead the way into the future by providing the greenest venue in NSW. The environmental initiatives used in this building are truly inspirational. The environmentally sustainable practices of the venue are:
- Structural concrete: An Australian first, made from recycled products
- High quality air: 50% higher levels of fresh air supply compared to Australian standards
- Lighting connected to occupancy sensors: Daylight sensors are a means of reducing the energy consumption
- Waste management and water monitoring: Reducing the degree of landfill waste and wasted water usage. Green standard water fixtures are fitted to reduce wasted water usage
- Reduced amount of poly vinyl chloride: PVC free electric cabling and plumbing
- Air conditioning HVAC system: Uses a refrigerant that has zero ozone depletion potential
- Thermal insulation: Avoids the use of ozone depleting substances in both its manufacturing & composition
- Environmentally rated carpet: reducing the impact on the environment from the manufacturing processes
- Ortech insulation ceiling: acoustic and thermal-reducing panel that is a low embodied energy product, made from a renewable resource
- V-KOOL film on glass: provides a virtually transparent protective barrier against the sun’s heat and radiation
- External views: Let’s not forget the views of the harbour! The water frontage aspect provides tranquility to our patrons, reducing stress levels
- Airlocks on the venue entrances: limit the heat or cold air transfer from the outside in
- Bike Racks: There are bike racks to encourage those who chose to cycle to a function.
- Volatile Organic Compounds: reduced impact on occupancy health from low levels of Volatile Organic Compounds in paints, carpets, adhesives and sealants used in the fit out
- CO2 Monitoring: Custom-fitted Carbon Dioxide Sensors to monitor carbon dioxide levels. Outdoor ventilation air rates are constantly adjusted to ensure the quality of breathable air.
- Environmentally rated walls and partitions: with excellent thermal acoustic properties and have been manufactured in an environmentally friendly manner
- Lighting, Audiovisual & Power: Power savings are calculated to be more than 75% over a standard installed AV & lighting system by using the latest green lighting technology, over 50 lighting modes, ability to turn lighting on or off for specific areas of the space. The audio system is evenly distributed for best reproduction at lowest power consumption.
Source: Green Times